February 28, 2013

My almost job...and how I feel about it.

My almost job...and how I feel about it.

As some of you know, I applied for a job at the Starbucks inside of the new Safeway right by my house. The only reason I applied was because A) it was a 5 minute walk from my house and B) I thought it would be fun to learn how to make all those coffees C) My /impression/ was that coffee shops were more lenient with hair and tattoo weirdness and D) We could use the extra cash.

Anyway, I applied online and got called for an interview the next day. Went to the interview and got hired on the spot. In-between the call and the actual interview, I found out that Starbucks AND Safeway have the stricktest rules EVER for tattoos, piercings, hair, and dress code in general. I thought if I wore long sleeves and the hat (Starbucks uniform), I should be good. So anyway, I got hired and started the computer training...everything was fine. The second day I went to training, a different lady was there and kind of gave me a strange look. I started my work on the computer and the next thing I knew she was telling me that my hair color "would not fly" in the new store. She continued to say things like "Well, you interviewed and we hired you...but then you switched it up, and that wont work." I immediately told her that I did not change my hair, that I absolutely had pink hair when I got hired. She was very confused. I told her the name of the guy that did the hiring, and she proceeds to realize that he was a "manager in training". Apparently he didn't know? She felt bad about it, but still the hair wouldn't do. I told her I would have to decline the position then. She wanted to make sure I got paid for the time I had spent there, so we finished up some paperwork. I want to make sure it's clear, I am not bashing this lady...She was REALLY sweet to me. Very professional and seemed to be a great leader. She was just doing her job. People were constantly bombarding her so it took 20 minutes to do something that should of took 5. The whole time she was very kind and patient. So there's that.

I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason...even if you don't understand why. I still feel this is still true for this situation, but definitely I don't understand it. LOL! Why did I get hired only to be turned away? Was it to somehow tell me to "grow up"? Was it to reinforce to me that I am supposed to continue using my God given gifts at home as an artist? I don't feel bad about the situation at all. I am the most confortable with who I am now, as I ever have been. I love what I do, and I feel comfortable in my own skin. So there's no regrets there. It's a glorious thing!

Whatever the reason may be, I am thankful. When I walked away that day, I had a huge sense of relief. I honestly didn't know how I was going to juggle being a wife, artist and work. I know people do it all the time, but it's not me. I didn't know how things would work out with my weekend excursions to Pennsylvania and weekend craft shows. . . bla bla bla. Also I was going to ask off for an entire week after the store first opened for our Dominican Republic trip. They wouldn't of liked that either. Anyway. I am thankful. Whatever the reason for it all is yet to be determined.